- adj. 现象的；显著的；异常的；能知觉的；惊人的，非凡的
TEM8 IELTS GRE
1、pheno- "appear, show, be seen" + -men- "passive suffix" + -al.
2、字面含义：that which appears or is seen. 即：被看到的事物。=> 由此，表示：现象。
- phenomenal (adj.)
- 1803, "of the nature of a phenomenon," a hybrid from phenomenon + -al (1). Meaning "remarkable, exceptional" is from 1850.
[Phenomenal] is a metaphysical term with a use of its own. To divert it from this proper use to a job for which it is not needed, by making it do duty for remarkable, extraordinary, or prodigious, is a sin against the English language. [Fowler]
- 1. Exports of Australian wine are growing at a phenomenal rate.
- 2. The product has been a phenomenal success.
- 3. He is a phenomenal runner.
- 4. The speed with which digital cameras can take, process and transmit an image is phenomenal.
- 5. The performances have been absolutely phenomenal.
[ phenomenal 造句 ]