- n. 贸易，交易；行业；职业
- vi. 交易，买卖；以物易物
- vt. 用…进行交换
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
来自中古英语 trade,路径，道路，由中世纪德国汉萨同盟商会引入英国的一个词，来自中古 低地德语 trade,路径，道路，特指航向，航道，来自 Proto-Germanic*trado,路径，道路，来自 PIE*der,走，踩踏，词源同 tread,trip.特指比较固定的路径，道路，路线，后引申词义贸易， 交易，行业等，并成为主要词义，其原词义现仅见于 trade wind,信风，贸易风。
- trade:  Trade originally meant ‘way, track’. Not until the 16th century did the modern sense ‘buying and selling’ emerge, via ‘regular path followed by someone’ and ‘business pursued by someone’. Etymologically, it amounts to a ‘trodden’ path; for it was borrowed from Middle Low German trade ‘track’, which goes back ultimately to the prehistoric Germanic base *trad-, *tred-, source also of English tread and trot.
=> tread, trot
- trade (n.)
- late 14c., "path, track, course of action," introduced by the Hanse merchants, from Middle Dutch or Middle Low German trade "track, course" (probably originally of a ship), cognate with Old English tredan (see tread (v.)).
Sense of "one's habitual business" (1540s) developed from the notion of "way, course, manner of life" (mid-15c.); sense of "buying and selling, exchange of commodities" is from 1550s. Meaning "act of trading" is from 1829. Trade-name is from 1821; trade-route is from 1873; trade-war is from 1899. Trade union is attested from 1831. Trade wind (1640s) has nothing to do with commerce, but preserves the obsolete sense of "in a habitual or regular course."
- trade (v.)
- 1540s, "to tread a path," from trade (n.). Meaning "to occupy oneself (in something)" is recorded from c. 1600. Meaning "to barter" is by 1793. The U.S. sports team sense of "to exchange one player for another" is attested from 1899. Related: Traded; trading. To trade down is attested from 1942; trade up from 1959. Trade places "exchange situations" is from 1917. Trading post is recorded from 1796. Trading stamp, given by merchants and exchangeable for goods, is from 1897.
- 1. The nature of the polymer is currently a trade secret.
- 2. They issue a fixed number of shares that trade publicly.
- 3. Anita Loos was in many respects untypical of the screenwriting trade.
- 4. Its trade and industrial policies should be used more ambitiously.
- 5. He passed the letters to the Department of Trade and Industry.
[ trade 造句 ]