英 [faɪ'næns; fɪ-; 'faɪnæns]
- n. 财政，财政学；金融
- vt. 负担经费，供给…经费
- vi. 筹措资金
- n. (Finance)人名；(法)菲南斯
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
来自拉丁语finis, 终结，词源同fine, finish. 指终结债务，解决争端等，引申词义金钱，资金，金融等。比较fund.
- finance:  Finance comes ultimately from Latin fīnis ‘end’, and its present-day monetary connotations derive from the notion of ‘finally settling a debt by payment’. Its immediate source is Old French finance, a derivative of the verb finer ‘end, settle’, which when it was originally acquired by English still meant literally ‘end’: ‘God, that all things did make of nought … puttest each creature to his finance’, Coventry Mystery Plays 1400. The debt-settling sense had already developed by that time, but this did not broaden out into the current ‘management of monetary resources’ until the 18th century.
=> final, fine, finish
- finance (n.)
- c. 1400, "an end, settlement, retribution," from Old French finance "end, ending; pardon, remission; payment, expense; settlement of a debt" (13c.), noun of action from finer "to end, settle a dispute or debt," from fin (see fine (n.)). Compare Medieval Latin finis "a payment in settlement, fine or tax."
The notion is of "ending" (by satisfying) something that is due (compare Greek telos "end;" plural tele "services due, dues exacted by the state, financial means"). The French senses gradually were brought into English: "ransom" (mid-15c.), "taxation" (late 15c.); the sense of "management of money, science of monetary business" first recorded in English 1770.
- finance (v.)
- late 15c., "to ransom" (obsolete), from finance (n.). Sense of "to manage money" is recorded from 1827; that of "to furnish with money" is from 1866. Related: Financed; financing.
- 1. The finance minister will continue to mastermind Poland's economic reform.
- 2. The scheme offers seed corn finance with loans at only 4% interest.
- 3. Foreign Office officials assisted with transport and finance problems.
- 4. He majored in finance at Claremont Men's College in California.
- 5. The United States was tops in finance and services.
[ finance 造句 ]