- vt. 娇养；溺爱（等于mollycoddle）；用文火煮
1. 谐音“蝌蚪”----蝌蚪是青蛙等两栖类动物的幼体，刚孵化出的蝌蚪身体弱小，对外界环境敏感，所以需要悉心照料。=> 娇养，溺爱，悉心照料。
来自拉丁词calidium, 热饮，词源同calorie, 卡路里。后词义由温暖到溺爱。
- coddle (v.)
- c. 1600, "boil gently," probably from caudle "warm drink for invalids" (c. 1300), from Anglo-French caudel (c. 1300), ultimately from Latin calidium "warm drink, warm wine and water," neuter of calidus "hot," from calere "be warm" (see calorie). Verb meaning "treat tenderly" first recorded 1815 (in Jane Austen's "Emma"). Related: Coddled; coddling.
- 1. This is also a small mouth opening to coddle the broken hand.
- 2. Discouraging words for those who believe that a college's job is to educate, not coddle.
- 3. Teach him gently, World, but don't coddle him, because only the test of fine steel.
- 温柔地教导他吧, 世界, 但是不要放纵他, 因为只有烈火的考验才能炼出真钢.
[ coddle 造句 ]