来自PIE *kel, 欺骗，责备，词源同cavil, challenge。-mn, 抽象名词后缀，见column.
- calumny: see challenge
- calumny (n.)
- "False & malicious misrepresentation of the words or actions of others, calculated to injure their reputation" [Fowler], mid-15c., from Middle French calomnie (15c.), from Latin calumnia "trickery, subterfuge, misrepresentation, malicious charge," from calvi "to trick, deceive," from PIE root *kel- (6) "to deceive, confuse" (cognates: Greek kelein "to bewitch, seduce, beguile," Gothic holon "to deceive," Old Norse hol "praise, flattery," Old English hol "slander," holian "to slander").
- 1. He was the victim of calumny.
- 2. Calumny is answered best with silence.
- 3. Calumny require no proof.
- 4. Calumny requires no proof.
- 5. Calumny , even from the mouth of a fool, will sometimes cut into unguarded feelings.
- 即使出自一个傻瓜之口的诽谤, 有时候也会突然刺伤一个没有防备的人的感情.
[ calumny 造句 ]