CET6 TEM4 IELTS GRE TOEFL
1. brush <===> shrub. 用灌木树枝做成的刷子。
2. brush 本身也有灌木、灌木丛之意。
来自古英语 scrybb,灌木，可能最终来自 PIE*sker,砍，切，词源同 shear,short.
- shrub (n.)
- Old English scrybb "brushwood, shrubbery," a rare and late word (but preserved also, perhaps, in Shrewsbury), possibly from a Scandinavian source (compare dialectal Danish skrub "brushwood," Norwegian skrubba "dwarf tree"). Presumably related to North Frisian skrobb "broom plant, brushwood;" West Flemish schrobbe "climbing wild pea," with a base notion of "rough plant," from PIE *(s)kerb-, extended form of root *(s)ker- (1) "to cut" (see shear (v.)).
- 1. There is a small evergreen shrub on the hillside.
- 2. This is the Asiatic ornamental shrub with spiny branches and pink or red blossoms.
- 3. Rose, a red rose for the deciduous shrub rose family.
- 玫瑰, 红的玫瑰为落叶灌木蔷薇科.
- 4. South African shrub grown for its profusion of white flowers.
- 5. Flee , save your life, And be like a shrub in the wilderness.
- 6你们要奔逃,自救性命, 要像旷野的灌木.
[ shrub 造句 ]