- adj. 单边的；[植] 单侧的；单方面的；单边音；（父母）单系的
CET6 TEM8 IELTS GRE
- unilateral (adj.)
- 1802, from Modern Latin unilateralis, from unum, neuter of unus "one" (see one) + latus (genitive lateralis) "side" (see oblate (n.)). Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832) may have been the first to use it in the legal sense of "made or entered into by one party." Related: Unilaterally. Unilateral disarmament is recorded from 1929.
It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion. [William Ralph Inge, "Outspoken Essays," 1919]
- 1. Unpopular policies such as unilateral disarmament were ditched.
- 2. a unilateral declaration of independence
- 3. Let's put it to the question. How many people here are in favour of unilateral disarmament ？
- 让我们畅所欲言, 这儿有多少人赞成单方面裁军?
- 4. The Chinese Government never regards aid to other countries as a kind of unilateral alms but as sth. mutual.
- 5. In the first two cases the reaction is unilateral.
[ unilateral 造句 ]