- n. [林] 柳树；[木] 柳木制品
- adj. 柳木制的
- n. (Willow)人名；(英)威洛，薇洛(女名)
CET6+ TEM4 GRE TOEFL CET6
- willow (n.)
- Old English welig "willow," from Proto-Germanic *wel- (cognates: Old Saxon wilgia, Middle Dutch wilghe, Dutch wilg), probably from PIE *wel- (3) "to turn, roll," with derivatives referring to curved, enclosing objects, cognate with Greek helix (see volvox). The change in form to -ow (14c.) paralleled that of bellow and fellow. The more typical Germanic word for the tree is represented by withy.
- 1. Jenny weaves baskets from willow she grows herself.
- 2. The baskets are woven from strips of willow.
- 3. Willow trees breaking out into buds foretell the coming of spring.
- 4. Willow twigs are pliable.
- 5. Willow catkins are fluttering in the air.
[ willow 造句 ]