- vt. 使堕落；滥用；使反常
- n. 堕落者；行为反常者；性欲反常者
TEM8 IELTS GRE
1、per- "through" 在这里引申为：由好的一方面through到不好的一方面，=> away；同类单词：pervert, perjury.
2、per- + vert-.
3、literally "turn sb or sth through to the wrong way".
- pervert: see verse
- pervert (v.)
- c. 1300 (transitive), "to turn someone aside from a right religious belief to a false or erroneous one," from Old French pervertir "pervert, undo, destroy" (12c.) and directly from Latin pervertere "overthrow, overturn," figuratively "to corrupt, subvert, abuse," literally "turn the wrong way, turn about," from per- "away" (see per) + vertere "to turn" (see versus).
Related: Perverted; perverting. Replaced native froward, which embodies the same image. Old English had mishweorfed "perverted, inverted," an identical formation to the Latin word using native elements.
- pervert (n.)
- 1660s, "one who has forsaken a doctrine or system regarded as true, apostate," from pervert (v.). Psychological sense of "one who has a perversion of the sexual instinct" is attested from 1897 (Havelock Ellis), originally especially of homosexuals.
- 1. He was charged with conspiring to pervert the course of justice.
- 2. Any reform will destroy and pervert our constitution.
- 3. Reading such silly stories will pervert your taste for good books.
- 4. He confessed that he was a religious believer, an admirer of capitalism, and a sexual pervert.
- 他招认他笃信宗教, 崇拜资本主义, 是个老色鬼.
- 5. He couldn't find another pervert to have a fight with closer to home?
- 他就不能找个离家近点的性变态来打架 吗 ?
[ pervert 造句 ]