TEM4 IELTS GRE
1. PIE base *ghai- / *ghi- "yawn, gape" => chasm (from Greek khasma / khaskein / khainein "yawn, gape").
2. PIE base *ghai- / *ghi- "yawn, gape" => hiatus (from Latin hiare "yawn, gape").
3. PIE base *ghai- / *ghi- "yawn, gape" => gap, gape, yawn.
5. chaos => chasm.
来自PIE*gheu, 张开，词源同chaos, gas.
- chasm: see yawn
- chasm (n.)
- 1590s, "deep crack in the earth," from Latin chasma, from Greek khasma "yawning hollow, gulf," related to khaskein "to yawn," and thus to chaos. In English in 17c. often spelled chasma. Figurative use from 1640s. Related: Chasmal; chasmic.
- 1. There's a chasm between rich and poor in that society.
- 2. A chasm separates my generation from my parents '.
- 3. Suddenly a huge chasm opened in the earth.
- 4. A huge chasm gaped before them.
- 5. Pat had earlier made a dive of 80 feet from the Chasm Bridge.
[ chasm 造句 ]