英 [ʌndə'raɪt; 'ʌndəraɪt]
- vt. 给...保险；承诺支付；签在...下
- vi. 经营保险业
TEM8 IELTS GRE
under-, 在下面，write, 写，签字，即在下面签字。引申词义承购，承保。
- underwrite (v.)
- Old English underwritan "write at the foot of; subscribe;" see under + write (v.). A loan-translation of Latin subscribere (see subscribe). Used literally at first; modern sense of "to accept the risk of insurance" (1620s) is from notion of signing a marine insurance policy. Meaning "to support by a guarantee of money" is recorded from 1890.
- 1. National banks can package their own mortgages and underwrite them as securities.
- 2. No bank would be willing to underwrite such a loss.
- 3. A group of ten international banks is to underwrite and sell the bonds.
- 4. The government will have to create a special agency to underwrite small business loans.
- 5. Public institutions will survive these cutbacks because state monies will continue to underwrite operating expenses.
[ underwrite 造句 ]