- vt. 玷污；使丢脸
- n. 污点，损伤
- n. (Sully)人名；(英)萨利；(法)苏利
1. soil => sully.
2. => make dirty.
3. 源自soil 弄脏；音：沙粒，弄脏衣服
来自古法语 soillier,弄脏，词源同 soil,粪肥，弄脏。
- sully: see soil
- sully (v.)
- 1590s, probably from Middle French souiller "to soil," also figurative, from Old French soillier "make dirty" (see soil (v.)). Related: Sullied (1570s); sullying.
- 1. I felt loath to sully the gleaming brass knocker by handling it.
- 2. I wouldn't sully my hands by acceptinga bribe.
- 3. Sully has a prominent nose.
- 4. Who would want to sully the reputation of the nicest girl in school?
- 5. New Year's procession will be led Sully Sullenberger, the celebrated airline pilot.
[ sully 造句 ]