- vt. 将（书等）放置在架子上；搁置，将某事放到一旁不予考虑；将…搁在一边；装搁架于；罢免
- vi. （陆地）逐渐倾斜
来自 shelf 的动词形式，比较 proof,prove.引申比喻义搁置，中止，停止。
- shelve (v.1)
- 1590s, "to overhang," also "to provide with shelves," probably a back-formation from shelves, plural of shelf (n.1). Meaning "put on a shelf" first recorded 1650s; metaphoric sense of "lay aside, dismiss" is from 1812. Related: Shelved; shelving.
- shelve (v.2)
- "to slope gradually," 1610s, from Middle English shelven "to slope," from shelfe "grassy slope," a word related to shelf (n.1). Related: Shelved; shelving.
- 1. They shelve the letters and do not give them due consideration.
- 2. The United States is pulling from their shelve toys made in china.
- 3. People shelve the out - of - fashion moral icon and espouse the philosophy of egoism.
- 4. After a sneak preview of the film they decided to shelve it.
- 5. They had to shelve their holiday plans because their son was ill.
[ shelve 造句 ]