- vt. 把……装入桶内
- n. 桶；枪管，炮管
- vi. 快速移动
- n. (Barrel)人名；(法、意)巴雷尔
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. 之所以叫“木桶”，就是因为最初的桶是用木棍做成的，所以: barr- "bar" + el => barrel.
- barrel (n.)
- c. 1300, from Old French baril (12c.) "barrel, cask, vat," with cognates in all Romance languages (such as Italian barile, Spanish barril), but origin uncertain; perhaps from Gaulish, perhaps somehow related to bar (n.1). Meaning "metal tube of a gun" is from 1640s. Barrel roll in aeronautics is from 1927.
- barrel (v.)
- mid-15c., "to put in barrels," from barrel (n.). Meaning "to move quickly" is 1930, American English slang, perhaps suggestive of a rolling barrel. Related: Barreled; barreling.
- 1. To keep warm they burnt wood in a rusty oil barrel.
- 2. You'll eat so much your belly'll be like a barrel.
- 3. Pork-barrel politicians hand out rents to win votes and influence people.
- 4. The suppers are always a barrel of laughs.
- 5. Oil prices were closing at $19.76 a barrel.
[ barrel 造句 ]