arrow, 箭。root, 根。因古代弓箭多涂毒，该植物以解毒。
- arrowroot:  Arrowroot, a tropical American plant with starchy tubers, gets its name by folk etymology, the process whereby an unfamiliar foreign word is reformulated along lines more accessible to the speakers of a language. In this case the word in question was aru-aru, the term used by the Arawak Indians of South America for the plant (meaning literally ‘meal of meals’). English-speakers adapted this to arrowroot because the root of the plant was used by the Indians to heal wounds caused by poisoned arrows.
- arrowroot (n.)
- 1690s, from arrow + root (n.). So called because it was used to absorb toxins from poison-dart wounds.
- 1. Look for Lai of arrowroot Er cloth please, I am Johnson.
- 请找葛尔布莱, 我是约翰逊.
- 2. Bermuda arrowroot is most highly esteemed.
- 3. Guesthouse, station, airport public can see velvet arrowroot.
- 宾馆.车站. 空港等公共场所都可见到天鹅绒竹芋.
- 4. The material that make divides arrowroot outside, there was a skin again later.
- 制的材料除葛外, 后来又有了皮.
- 5. China helps advance somebody's career the time of velvet arrowroot is not long.
[ arrowroot 造句 ]