1. over- "beyond, above normal" + ween "以为; 想像" + -ing.
- overweening: see wish
- overweening (adj.)
- mid-14c., from present participle of verb overwenen "be conceited, presume, be presumptuous, be over-confident," from Old English oferwenian "to be proud, become insolent or presumptuous;" see over- + ween.
- 1. "Your modesty is a cover for your overweening conceit," she said.
- 2. 'Your modesty is a cover for your overweening conceit,' she said.
- 3. The overweening enemy will soon learn this to his cost.
- 4. Madge Wildfire , who , among other indications of insanity , had a most overweening opinion of those charms.
- 玛吉虽说疯疯颠颠, 却还特别爱个俊俏.
- 5. Throughout her life she has hidden her insecurities behind a facade of , at times , overweening self - confidence.
- 在她一生中,她常常靠摆出泰然自若的样子, 来掩饰内心的犹豫不定.
[ overweening 造句 ]