- vt. 撬动，撬开
- vi. 刺探，探查
- n. 窥探；杠杆
CET6+ IELTS GRE
来自prize 的回构词，来自古法语prise,抓住，来自（缩写自）拉丁语prehendere,抓住，词源 同apprise,comprehend.引申词义撬开，强力扒开。
- pry: see prize
- pry (v.1)
- "look inquisitively," c. 1300, from prien "to peer in," of unknown origin, perhaps related to late Old English bepriwan "to wink." Related: Pried; prying. As a noun, "act of prying," from 1750; meaning "inquisitive person" is from 1845.
- pry (v.2)
- "raise by force," 1823, from a noun meaning "instrument for prying, crowbar;" alteration of prize (as though it were a plural) in obsolete sense of "lever" (c. 1300), from Old French prise "a taking hold, grasp" (see prize (n.2)).
- 1. Don't pry into private life of others.
- 2. Don't pry into the affairs of others.
- 3. If you want to pry into other people'sbusiness you shall not do it here, young man.
- 4. Jack managed to pry away a large stone blocking the entrance.
- 5. A motorman tried to pry Rex's jaws open with a switch rod.
[ pry 造句 ]