- n. 册；大本书
- n. (Tome)人名；(西、塞)托梅
1、tom- + -e.
2、字面含义：section of a book, volume. => a single volume of a multi-volume work, a large book.
3. tome n.册，卷，大本书→time “要很长时间才能看完一大本书”
来自拉丁语 tomus,书的一册，一卷书，来自希腊语 temnein,切开，分开，来自 PIE*tem,切， 分，砍，词源同 atom,anatomy.后引申词义大部头书，巨著。
- tome:  Tome comes via French tome and Latin tomus from Greek tómos. This originally meant ‘slice, piece’ (it went back to the prehistoric Indo-European base *tom-, *tem- ‘cut’, which is also responsible for English temple, tonsorial , tonsure , and the surgical suffix -tomy ‘cutting’), but it was extended metaphorically to a ‘cut roll of paper’ and eventually to a ‘volume, book’.
=> temple, tonsorial, tonsure
- tome (n.)
- 1510s, "a single volume of a multi-volume work," from Middle French tome (16c.), from Latin tomus "section of a book, tome," from Greek tomos "volume, section of a book," originally "a section, piece cut off," from temnein "to cut," from PIE *tem- "to cut" (cognates: second element in Latin aestimare "to value, appraise," Old Church Slavonic tina "to cleave, split," Middle Irish tamnaim "I cut off," Welsh tam "morsel"). Sense of "a large book" is attested from 1570s.
- 1. Frama - tome supplies the nuclear steam supply systems and GEC Alsthom the turbinegenerators.
- 2. By this tome tomorrow, you will have arrived in Beijing.
- 到明天这个时候, 你已经到北京了.
- 3. In 1485 Sao Tome was made a concession of Joao de Paiva.
- 4. J : Education, education, education! That's what our tome is all about.
- 教育, 教育, 还是教育. 这是我们文化渊源之所在.
- 5. Its disease hair time to tome Where is what symptom?
- 它病发时有什么症状 呢 ?
[ tome 造句 ]