- adj. 杂色的；混杂的；五颜六色的
- n. 混杂；杂色衣服；小丑
- n. (Motley)人名；(英)莫特利
1. mottle <==> motley.
2. 同源词：mote => motley, mottle.
- motley (adj.)
- late 14c., "parti-colored" (originally of fabric), from Anglo-French motteley, probably from Old English mot "speck" (see mote). But Klein's sources say probably from Gaulish. "Diversified in color," especially of a fool's dress. Hence, allusively, "a fool" (1600). As a noun meaning "cloth of mixed color" from late 14c.
- 1. The room was filled with a motley collection of furniture and paintings.
- 2. His friends were a motley crew.
- 3. The volunteers seem a motley crew.
- 4. The motley company had increased to ten.
来自英汉文学 - 嘉莉妹妹
- 5. The room was soon filled with a motley assemblage.
[ motley 造句 ]