1. appear => apparition.
前缀ap-同ad-. 词根par, 出现。原指主显节(Epiphany)圣子降临，后词义发生了变化。
- apparition: see appear
- apparition (n.)
- c. 1500, "unclosing" (of Heaven), from Anglo-French aparicion, Old French apparition, aparoison (15c.), used in reference to the Epiphany (revealing of Christ child to the Wise Men), from Late Latin apparitionem (nominative apparitio) "an appearance," also "attendants," in classical Latin "service, servants," noun of action from past participle stem of apparere "appear" (see appear). Meaning "ghost" first recorded c. 1600; the shade of sense differentiation between appearance and apparition is that the latter tends to be unexpected or startling.
- 1. He saw the apparition of his dead wife.
- 2. The patient rec-ognized one of the women as the apparition she had seen.
- 3. But the terror of this new apparition brought me to a stand.
来自英汉文学 - 金银岛
- 4. A harsh apparition ; tiny Midway was peculiarly set for air combat.
- 5. She claimed to have seen the apparition of her dead husband.
[ apparition 造句 ]