1. center <==> centre.
2. tier ==> Old French: tire "order, row, dress".
3. => a- "to" + tire "order, row, dress".
前缀at-同ad-. -tire同单词tier, 准备，安排，层级。服装是身份的象征，所以该词特指比较正式的衣服。
- attire: see tyre
- attire (v.)
- c. 1300, "to fit out, equip; to dress in finery, to adorn," from Old French atirier "to equip, ready, prepare," from a- "to" + tire "order, row, dress" (see tier). Related: Attired; attiring.
- attire (n.)
- c. 1300, "equipment of a man-at-arms; fine apparel," from attire (v.).
- 1. In those crowded streets her attire did not rate a second glance.
- 2. dressed in formal evening attire
- 3. He had no intention of changing his mode of attire.
- 4. She doffs her garb worn under fire and wears again female attire.
- 5. Her attention was attracted by his peculiar attire.
[ attire 造句 ]