1. por- "pro-, forth, forward" + tent- + -ous.
2. 字面含义：stretch forward.
3. => foretell, reveal; point out, indicate.
- portentous (adj.)
- 1540s, from Latin portentosus "monstrous, marvelous, threatening," from portentem "portent" (see portend). Related: Portentously.
- 1. Portentous choices were forced on him by the dozen.
- 2. The present aspect of society is portentous of great change.
- 3. In social politics, too, the city's contribution to 20th century thought and culture was no less portentous.
- 4. Before me stretched the portentous, menacing road of a new decade.
- 在我面前展现出一条新的十年的凶多吉少 、 咄咄逼人的道路.
来自英汉文学 - 盖茨比
- 5. There was nothing portentous or solemn about him. He was bubbling with humour.
[ portentous 造句 ]