- n. 花园；菜园
- vt. 栽培花木
- vi. 从事园艺；在园中种植
- n. (Garden)人名；(英、意、巴基)加登
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
1. jardinière【法语】: 扎到泥啊。把花扎到盆中的泥土里——大花盆，花盆架。
PIE*gher, 围，绕，词源同yard, court. 指围起来的一个庭院。
- garden:  Ultimately, garden and yard are the same word. Both come from prehistoric Germanic *gardon, but whereas yard reached English via a direct Germanic route, garden diverted via the Romance languages. Vulgar Latin borrowed *gardon as *gardo ‘enclosure’, and formed from it the adjective *gardīnus ‘enclosed’. The phrase hortus gardīnus ‘enclosed garden’ came to be abbreviated to gardīnus, which gave Old Northern French gardin, the source of the English word (more southerly dialects of Old French had jardin, borrowed by Italian as giardino).
- garden (n.)
- late 13c. (late 12c. in surnames), from Old North French gardin "(kitchen) garden; orchard; palace grounds" (Old French jardin, 13c., Modern French jardin), from Vulgar Latin hortus gardinus "enclosed garden," via Frankish *gardo or some other Germanic source, from Proto-Germanic *gardaz (cognates: Old Frisian garda, Old Saxon gardo, Old High German garto, German Garten "a garden," Old English geard, Gothic gards "enclosure;" see yard (n.1)). Italian giardino, Spanish jardin are from French.
As an adjective from c. 1600. Garden-party "company attending an entertainment on the lawn or garden of a private house" is by 1843. Garden-variety in figurative sense first recorded 1928. To lead someone up the garden path "entice, deceive" is attested by 1925. Garden-glassgarden-glass "round dark glass reflective globe (about a foot and a half across) placed on a pedestal, used as a garden ornament," is from 1842.
- garden (v.)
- "to lay out and cultivate a garden," 1570s, from garden (n.). Related: Gardened; gardening.
- 1. I wanted the front garden to be a blaze of colour.
- 2. He tramped hurriedly round the lake towards the garden.
- 3. He reached the garden gate and thrust his way through it.
- 4. I sat in the garden and watched the passing cars.
- 5. It was 1956 when Susanna started the work on the garden.
[ garden 造句 ]