1. Roof spouts carved in the shape of grotesque creatures had the term gargoyle applied to them from the notion that the rain-water was coming out of their throats – hence English gargoyle.
2. gorge => garg-, gurg-, gorg- "throat, , waterspout from throat" (originated as an imitation of throat sounds, imitative of throat sounds.) => gargoyle.
- gargoyle:  The ancient root *garg-, *gurgoriginated as an imitation of throat sounds. From it were derived such guttural words as Greek gargaraaizein ‘gargle’ (whence Latin gargarizāre ‘gargle’) and Latin gurguliō ‘gullet’ (Latin gurges, source of English gorge and regurgitate, had moved further figuratively to ‘whirlpool’).
Among the offspring of gurguliō are Vulgar Latin *gurguliāre, source of English gurgle , and Old French gargouille ‘throat’. Roof spouts carved in the shape of grotesque creatures had the term gargouille applied to them from the notion that the rain-water was coming out of their throats – hence English gargoyle. Gargouille also formed the basis of the verb gargouiller ‘gargle, gurgle’, from which English gets gargle .
=> gargle, gurgle
- gargoyle (n.)
- "grotesque carved waterspout," connected to the gutter of a building to throw down water clear of the wall, common in 13c.-16c. buildings; late 13c., gargoile, also garguile, gargule, etc., "carved mouth of a rain spout, a gargoyle," from Old French gargole, gargoule "throat;" also "carved downspout," in the form of a serpent or some other fanciful shape, also from Medieval Latin gargola, gargulio (see gargle (v.)). "An archaic spelling, retained in books; better gargoil or, in more modern form gargel" [Century Dictionary].
- 1. We suppose that you're carving gargoyle up in the corner of this building .
- 2. His disfigured face was like some avenging nemesis of gargoyle design.
- 3. His face was the gargoyle of the devil, it was not human , it was not sane.
- 4. Week of Gargoyle: Double growth for Gargoyle and O idia Gargoyles.
- 石像鬼周: 石像鬼产量加倍.
- 5. Summon Gargoyle ( Tier 5 ) now has a 3 minute cooldown, down from 5.
- 召唤石像鬼 ( 第5层 ) 冷却从5分钟减少到3分钟.
[ gargoyle 造句 ]