- n. 补药；主调音或基音
- adj. 滋补的；声调的；使精神振作的
TEM8 IELTS GRE
1. ton- "stretch" + -ic.
2. => relating to or characterized by muscular tension, maintaining the healthy firmness of tissues, having the property of restoring to health.
3. ton- "sound, tone, accent" + -ic.
6. 汤力水，是Tonic Water的音译，又叫奎宁水、通宁汽水，是苏打水与糖、水果提取物和奎宁调配而成的。最初的时候，汤力水是被用来作为药物使用.
来自 tone,身体健康性，-ic,形容词后缀。现词义缩写自 tonic water,让身体健康的水，原为一 种保健品，因加入奎宁，通常叫奎宁水，引申词义补药，滋补品等，后词义也与 toner 相融 合。
- tonic (n.1)
- "a tonic medicine," 1799, from tonic (adj.). From 1873 (in gin and tonic) as short for tonic water (1861 as a commercial product, water infused with quinine), so called because held to aid digestion and stimulate appetite.
- tonic (adj.)
- 1640s, "relating to or characterized by muscular tension," from Greek tonikos "of stretching," from tonos "a stretching" (see tenet). The meaning "maintaining the healthy firmness of tissues" is recorded from 1680s, first extended 1756 to "having the property of restoring to health." Related: Tonical (1580s).
- tonic (n.2)
- in the musical sense, 1760, short for tonic note, from tone (n.) in the musical sense + -ic. Related: Tonicity.
- 1. A good dose of tonic will help you to pick up.
- 2. Seeing Marcus at that moment was a great tonic.
- 3. His generous offer was a tremendous tonic for our morale.
- 4. He was knocking back his 10th gin and tonic of the day.
- 5. She carried on serenely sipping her gin and tonic.
[ tonic 造句 ]