TEM4 IELTS GRE
"a tidal marsh or opening," from aestus "boiling (of the sea), tide, heat," from PIE *aidh- "to burn".
2. 同源词：edifice, edify, estivate, estuary, ether.
3. PIE root *aidh- "to burn" => aedis / aedes (originally "a place with a hearth") => 引申为：aedis / aedes "dwelling house, building, temple, sanctuary". => edifice, edify.
4. PIE root *aidh- "to burn" => aestus "boiling (of the sea), tide, heat" => estivate, estuary.
5. PIE root *aidh- "to burn" => aithein "to burn, shine" => ether "upper air; bright, purer air; the sky".
来自PIE*aidh, 燃烧，沸腾，词源同edifice, ether. 因河口湍急的水流而得名。
- estuary (n.)
- 1530s, from Latin aestuarium "a tidal marsh, mudbeds covered by water at high tides; channel inland from the sea," from aestus "boiling (of the sea), tide, heat," from PIE *aidh- "to burn" (see edifice).
- 1. The stream debouches into the estuary.
- 2. We live near the Thames estuary.
- 3. We moored in the estuary, waiting for high tide.
- 我们在港湾停泊, 等待涨潮.
- 4. ( The lease area was adjacent to the greatest estuary and marsh area in the United States.
- ( 租借地临近美国最大的河口与沼泽地.
来自英汉非文学 - 环境法 - 环境法
- 5. Natural disturbance and human _ caused disturbance of estuary wetland ecosystem were identified.
[ estuary 造句 ]