- vi. 调解；斡旋；居中
- vt. 调停；传达
- adj. 间接的；居间的
CET6 TEM8 IELTS GRE TOEFL
- mediate: see medium
- mediate (v.)
- 1540s, "divide in two equal parts," probably a back-formation from mediation or mediator, or else from Latin mediatus, past participle of mediare. Meaning "act as a mediator" is from 1610s; that of "settle by mediation" is from 1560s. Related: Mediated, mediates, mediating.
- 1. The Secretary-General was asked to mediate in the dispute.
- 2. The state must mediate the struggle for water resources.
- 3. There were some mediate contacts between the two countries before their diplomatic relation was established.
- 4. They may be able to mediate between parties with different interests.
- 5. Mediate between two countries which were at war was not successful.
[ mediate 造句 ]