CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1、re- "again or intensive prefix" + sembl- + -e.
- resemble:  Resemble goes back ultimately to Latin similis ‘like’, source of English similar. From it was formed the verb similāre ‘imitate’, which passed into Old French as sembler ‘be like, seem’ (source of English semblance). Addition of the intensive prefix re- produced resembler ‘be very like’ – whence English resemble.
- resemble (v.)
- mid-14c., from Old French resembler "belike" (12c., Modern French ressemble), from re-, intensive prefix, + sembler "to appear, to seem, be like," from Latin simulare "to copy" (see similar (adj.)). Related: Resembled; resembling.
- 1. Did it resemble the earth when this was destitute of an atmosphere?
- 它同地球上还没有大气的时候一样 吗 ?
- 2. The pattern so obtained will not resemble any of the others.
- 3. His nails resemble the ivory keys of the spinet.
- 4. China's south does not at all resemble the U.S. south.
- 5. In these respects, the fossils resemble modern humans.
- 在这些方面, 这些化石类似于现代人类.
[ resemble 造句 ]