- n. 旋转物；鱼叉；轻便双轮马车；现场演出；临时工作
- vi. 乘轻便双轮马车；起绒；叉鱼
- vt. 使…起绒；用鱼叉叉；记过处分
1.马车，来自gig古义，旋转，词源同gigolo, whirligig. 引申义轻便马车，因其颠簸而得名，参照cab, 来自caper, 山羊。
- gig (n.1)
- "light, two-wheeled carriage, usually drawn by one horse" (1791), also "small boat," 1790, perhaps, on notion of bouncing, from Middle English ghyg "spinning top" (in whyrlegyg, mid-15c.), also "giddy girl" (early 13c., also giglet), from Old Norse geiga "turn sideways," or Danish gig "spinning top." Similar to words in continental Germanic for "fiddle" (such as German Geige); the connecting sense might be "rapid or whirling motion."
- gig (n.2)
- "job," originally in the argot of jazz musicians, attested from 1915 but said to have been in use c. 1905; of uncertain origin. As a verb, by 1939. Among the earlier meanings of gig was "combination of numbers in betting games" (1847). Related: Gigged; gigging.
- 1. I am organising a benefit gig in Bristol to raise these funds.
- 2. to do a gig
- 3. The gig is a sell - out.
- 4. In 1999, DOD put forward a tentative plan of building global information grid ( GIG ).
- 1999年, 美国防部提出了建设全球信息栅格 ( globalinformationgrid,GIG ) 的设想.
- 5. The two bands join forces for a gig at the Sheffield Arena on November 28.
[ gig 造句 ]