CET6+ TEM8 GRE
1. de- "down" + ton- "thunder" + -ate.
2. 字面含义：thunder down, release one's thunder.
3. => act of causing to explode, explosion accompanied by loud sound.
de-, 向下，强调。-ton, 打雷，爆炸，词源同thunder, astonish. 即爆掉，引爆。
- detonate:  Detonate is related to thunder. It comes from the past participle of Latin dētonāre, a compound verb formed from the prefix dē- ‘down’ and tonāre ‘thunder, roar’, which goes back to the same Indo-European base (*ten-, *ton-) as thunder. Latin dētonāre never actually meant ‘cause to explode’, though; that sense comes from its French descendant détoner.
- detonate (v.)
- 1729, a back-formation from detonation, or else from Latin detonatus, past participle of detonare. Related: Detonated; detonating.
- 1. Two other bombs failed to detonate.
- 2. An engineer tried to detonate the mine.
- 3. France is expected to detonate its first nuclear device in the next few days.
- 4. The only sure way was to walk up to him, camouflaged bomb in hand, and detonate.
- 唯一十拿九稳的办法就是,走到他面前, 手里拿着伪装起来的炸弹, 引爆它.
- 5. Nitroguanicline may be regarded as an explosive which is powerful, but difficult to detonate.
- 硝基胍可以认为是一种猛烈的炸药, 但难以爆轰.
[ detonate 造句 ]