- vt. 偷偷插入；混入；蒙骗；硬卖给；采用欺骗手段出售；把…强加于
1. fist => foist.
2. => "take in hand".
3. which originally denoted the dishonest concealing of a dice in one's hand.
- foist: see fist
- foist (v.)
- 1540s, probably from Dutch vuisten "take in hand," from Middle Dutch vuist "fist" (see fist (n.)). Earliest sense was cheating at dice by concealing a loaded one in the palm of the hand with the intention of introducing it into play; general meaning "introduce surreptitiously, work in by a trick" is from 1560s. Related: Foisted; foisting.
- 1. He doesn't try to foist his beliefs on everyone.
- 2. He tried to foist some inferior goods ( off ) on me.
- 3. He's religious but he doesn't try to foist his beliefs on everyone.
- 4. Translators should not foist their own opinions into the original book.
- 5. The left have tried to foist on her the image of a limited suburban reactionary.
[ foist 造句 ]