- n. 二轮运货马车
- vt. 用车装载
- vi. 驾运货马车；用运货车运送
- n. (Cart)人名；(法)卡尔；(英、芬)卡特
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 CET6
来自PIE *sker, 围，转，编织，词源同cradle。本义为提东西的篮子，后词义外延至小推车。
- cart:  Old English had a word cræt ‘carriage’, which may, by the process known as metathesis (reversal of speech sounds), have produced the word which first appeared at the beginning of the 13th century as karte or carte. But a part must certainly also have been played by Old Norse kartr ‘cart’, and some have also detected the influence of Anglo-Norman carete, a diminutive form of car (source of English car).
- cart (n.)
- c. 1200, from Old Norse kartr or a similar Scandinavian source, akin to and replacing Old English cræt "cart, wagon, chariot," perhaps originally "body of a cart made of wickerwork, hamper" and related to Middle Dutch cratte "woven mat, hamper," Dutch krat "basket," Old English cradol (see cradle (n.)). To put the cart before the horse in a figurative sense is from 1510s in those words; the image in other words dates to mid-14c.
- cart (v.)
- "to carry in a cart," late 14c., from cart (n.). Related: Carted; carting.
- 1. Last night we hitched the horse to the cart and moved here.
- 2. Where we use tractors, obviously they used cart-horses in those days.
- 3. 'Cart-horse' is an anagram of 'orchestra'.
- 4. a horse and cart
- 5. A mantis cannot stop the wheel of a cart.
[ cart 造句 ]