CET6+ TEM8 IELTS GRE
前缀be-, 强调。set, 放置。来自军事用语，指包围。
- beset (v.)
- Old English besettan "to put, place; own, keep; occupy, settle; cover, surround with, besiege," from Proto-Germanic *bisatjan (cognates: Old Saxon bisettjan, Dutch bezetten, Old High German bisezzan, German besetzen, Gothic bisatjan); see be- + set (v.). The figurative sense also was in Old English. Related: Beset (past tense); besetting.
- 1. It is a neighborhood beset by all the usual inner-city problems.
- 2. Beset by ethnic strife, the province remains ungovernable.
- 3. The discussions were beset with difficulties.
- 4. The team was beset by injury all season.
- 5. She wanted to enjoy her retirement without being beset by financial worries.
[ beset 造句 ]