TEM8 IELTS GRE
- monsoon (n.)
- 1580s, "trade wind of the Indian Ocean," from Dutch monssoen, from Portuguese monçao, from Arabic mawsim "time of year, appropriate season" (for a voyage, pilgrimage, etc.), from wasama "he marked." When it blows from the southwest (April through October) it brings heavy rain, hence "heavy episode of rainfall during the rainy season" (1747).
- 1. The monsoon rains started early this year.
- 2. The south - west monsoon sets in during April.
- 3. Travelling is much more difficult during the monsoon.
- 4. The monsoon has now covered almost all of the agriculturally important north-west of India.
- 5. The facts of monsoon climate have been presented in a number of texts and atlases.
[ monsoon 造句 ]