- vt. 杀害，杀死；使禁不住大笑
- vi. 杀死，杀害；残杀
- n. (Slay)人名；(英、柬)斯莱
CET6+ TEM4 GRE
2. slay.............死 嘞.......................杀死；杀害
来自古英语 slean,杀，屠宰，来自 Proto-Germanic*slog,击，砍，来自 PIE*slak,击，砍，可能 来自 PIE*skel,砍，劈，切，词源同 scale,shale,shell.
- slay: [OE] Etymologically, slay means ‘hit’ (its German relative schlagen still does), but from the earliest Old English times it was also used for ‘kill’. It comes from a prehistoric Germanic base *slakh-, *slag-, *slög- ‘hit’, which also produced English onslaught, slaughter, the sledge of sledgehammer, sleight, sly, and possibly slag  (from the notion of ‘hitting’ rock to produce fragments), slog, and slug ‘hit’.
=> onslaught, slaughter, sledge, sleight, sly
- slay (v.)
- Old English slean "to smite, strike, beat," also "to kill with a weapon, slaughter" (class VI strong verb; past tense sloh, slog, past participle slagen), from Proto-Germanic *slahan, from root *slog- "to hit" (cognates: Old Norse and Old Frisian sla, Danish slaa, Middle Dutch slaen, Dutch slaan, Old High German slahan, German schlagen, Gothic slahan "to strike"). The Germanic words are from PIE root *slak- "to strike" (cognates: Middle Irish past participle slactha "struck," slacc "sword").
Modern German cognate schlagen maintains the original sense of "to strike." Meaning "overwhelm with delight" (mid-14c.) preserves one of the wide range of meanings the word once had, including, in Old English, "stamp (coins); forge (weapons); throw, cast; pitch (a tent), to sting (of a snake); to dash, rush, come quickly; play (the harp); gain by conquest."
- slay (n.)
- "instrument on a weaver's loom to beat up the weft," Old English slæ, slea, slahae, from root meaning "strike" (see slay (v.)), so called from "striking" the web together. Hence the surname Slaymaker "maker of slays."
- 1. Would slay whoever dared confront Those moustaches that Bristled like porcupinequills.
来自英汉 - 翻译样例 - 文学
- 2. Will you slay a man because he is the victim of fear?
- 你们会不会只因为一个人是恐惧心里的牺牲者就杀死他 呢 ?
- 3. They will seize, they will slay me.
- 他们会把我抓走, 他们会杀死我的.
- 4. What does a dragon slayer do now that there are no dragons left to slay?
- 5. We need survivorship because corporation and gangdom collude and slay worker.
[ slay 造句 ]