- adj. 浮夸的；用纬起毛织物的
- n. 浮夸的话；棉麻粗布
- fustian (n.)
- "thick cotton cloth," c. 1200, from Old French fustaigne, fustagne (12c., Modern French futaine), from Medieval Latin fustaneum, perhaps from Latin fustis "staff, stick of wood; cudgel, club" (see fustigate) as a loan-translation of Greek xylina lina "linens of wood" (i.e. "cotton"). But the Medieval Latin word also is sometimes said to be from Fostat, town near Cairo where this cloth was manufactured. [Klein finds this derivation untenable.] Figurative sense of "pompous, inflated language" recorded by 1590s.
- 1. Fustian can't disguise the author's meager plot.
- 2. His fustian shirt, sanguineflowered, trembles its Spanish tassels at his secrets.
- 他身上穿的是件印有血红色大花的粗斜纹布衬衫, 每当他吐露秘密时, 西班牙式的流苏就颤悠.
- 3. Yossarian was unmoved by the fustian charade of the burial ceremony ( Joseph Heller )
- 约萨仁丝毫不为葬礼上浮夸的象征性仪式所激动 ( 约瑟夫赫勒 )
[ fustian 造句 ]