TEM8 IELTS TOEFL
1. sup- "under" + posit- + -ion.
2. 字面含义：put or place under.
3. => assume as the basis of argument. => admit as possible, to believe to be true.
4. => assumption, hypothesis.
5. influenced by Greek hypothesis.
6. supposition <=> hypothesis. 它们有殊途同归、异曲同工之妙。
- supposition (n.)
- early 15c., a term in logic, "assumption, hypothesis," from Medieval Latin suppositionem (nominative suppositio) "assumption, hypothesis, a supposition," noun of action from past participle stem of supponere (see suppose); influenced by Greek hypothesis. In classical Latin, "a putting under, substitution." Earlier in English in the same sense was supposal (late 14c.). Related: Suppositional; suppositionally.
- 1. The police are working on the supposition that he was murdered.
- 2. The police are acting on the supposition that she took the money.
- 3. The whole plan is based on merely his own supposition.
- 4. His version of the events is pure supposition.
- 5. The story is based on supposition.
[ supposition 造句 ]