- n. 契约，盟约；圣约；盖印合同
- vi. 订立盟约、契约
- vt. 立约承诺
co-, 强调。-ven, 来，词源同venue,convene(开会)。即召集开会后形成的协议，条约。
- covenant:  The notion of ‘agreement’ in covenant comes originally from a literal ‘coming together’. It was borrowed from Old French covenant, a noun use of the present participle of the verb covenir ‘agree’, which was descended from Latin convenire ‘come together’ (source also of English convene, convenient, convention, convent, and coven). (Modern French has restored the n, giving convenir.)
=> convenient, convent, convention, coven, venue
- covenant (n.)
- c. 1300, from Old French covenant "agreement," originally present participle of covenir "agree, meet," from Latin convenire "come together" (see convene). Applied in Scripture to God's arrangements with man as a translation of Latin testamentum, Greek diatheke, both rendering Hebrew berith (though testament also is used for the same word in different places).
- covenant (v.)
- c. 1300, from covenant (n.). Related: Covenanted; covenanting. Covenanter (1638) was used especially in reference to Scottish Presbyterians who signed the Solemn League and Covenant (1643) for the defense and furtherance of their cause.
- 1. God's covenant with Abraham
- 2. The money was given to us by deed of covenant.
- 3. When God created man, he entered into a covenant with him.
- 当上帝造人的时候, 祂就与他立了一个“约”(covenant).
- 4. If you make regular gifts through a covenant we can reclaim the income tax which you have already paid on this money.
- 5. The effect of the statute was to annul this covenant.
来自英汉非文学 - 环境法 - 环境法
[ covenant 造句 ]