来自瑞典语 smorgasbord,自助餐，来自 smorgas,三明治，黄油面包，字面意思为抹黄油的鹅 肉，来自 smor,黄油，词源同 smear,gas,鹅，词源同 goose,代指三明治面包，bord,板，桌子， 词源同 board.
- smorgasbord: see smear
- smorgasbord (n.)
- 1893, from Swedish smörgåsbord, literally "butter-goose table," from smörgås, "slice of bread and butter," compounded from smör "butter" (see smear (n.)) and gås, literally "goose" (and from the same Germanic root that yielded English goose (n.)).
[Smörgås] properly signifies "a slice of bread-and-butter"; and has come by custom--in much the same way as when we familiarly speak of "taking a sandwich" for partaking of some light refreshment--to be applied synecdochically to the preliminary relish or appetizer partaken of before meals. ["Notes and Queries," Nov. 15, 1884]
The final element is bord "table," from Proto-Germanic *burdam "plank, board, table" (see board (n.1)). Figurative sense of "medley, miscellany" is recorded from 1948.
- 1. Help yourself from the smorgasbord.
- 2. This valley is just one long smorgasbord.
- 3. I think most people have probably heard of a smorgasbord before.
- 4. The rock star's concert is a smorgasbord of visual and audio effects.
- 5. We heard that you have the best smorgasbord in town.
[ smorgasbord 造句 ]