de-, 向下。-mot, 移动，词源同motive, promote. 即向下移动，降职。
- demote (v.)
- 1881, American English coinage from de- + stem of promote. Said to have been Midwestern in origin.
Regarding an antithesis to 'promote,' the word universally in use in Cambridge, in Harvard College, is drop. The same word is in use in the leading schools here (Boston). I hope I may be counted every time against such barbarisms as 'demote' and 'retromote.' [Edward Everett Hale, 1892, letter to the publishers of "Funk & Wagnalls' Standard Dictionary"]
Related: Demoted; demoting.
- 1. It's very difficult to demote somebody who has been standing in during maternity leave.
- 2. An employer who has lost confidence in the ability of an employee may demote him.
- 3. I should demote you from senior minister to elder.
- 4. Demote - Players can demote other players in the guild.
- 5. Cannot demote this field, table, or query.
- 无法对该字段 、 表或查询进行降级.
[ demote 造句 ]